Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Disability aid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Disability aid

I was wondering if anyone out after having Brain/Pituitary Tumor needed to go on disability after finding it hard to adjust  and return to work.
I went on disability for 8 months after my pituitary surgery. I had troubles weaning, the pain, getting sick (I got a post-op infection and had to have another surgery),

Some people can go back after a month, some people just simply need more time. I had a very stressful job and a long commute and there was no way I could do it. I also worked at home when I went back at first, going back gradually.

I worked for a while but the cortisol kept weakening me, to the point where I could not walk as far as I used to be able to. We had two offices about a mile apart in NYC, and often had meetings where we would have to go back and forth - and it got so bad that I could not walk it anymore (used to always walk it, and quickly), and so used to participate by phone or try to take a taxi (that never worked).

I had a bilateral adrenalectomy 3 years ago today. I never went back to work after that. I always thought I would. Most seem to go back to work, but some of us seem to get a bit sicker. I found I had another disease, hidden and being treated by the steroids.

Your doctor should know your condition and sign you out. Usually a surgeon can sign you out for a month, but the endo can sign you out longer as it is the hormones that are causing the long-term issues.