Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
Son behaving abnormally

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Son behaving abnormally

My son has been acting irrational for several months now.  Last May we checked him into a psych ward because he kept saying that he could read minds, he was hearing voices, and he was having delusions about being Jesus, or a demi-god, and generally acting in a paranoid and defensive way.  He was 20 years old and regularly using drugs and alcohol at the time, and the psychiatrist that saw him said he thought the behavior may have been attributable to the use of an over the counter drug called K-2 (the use by him of which has never been confirmed.  He was prescribed Trazodone (50 MG) and Olanzapine (10 MG) to be taken at night.  He went to a couple of follow-up psychiatric visits through July, but then stopped going, stopped taking the medications saying it made him tired, and said that he did not have any problems so he didn't need to return to the psychiatrist.  

During this time he has been a member of the National Guard (Infantryman went to boot camp in late 2010; successfully completed boot camp qualifying as an expert marksman)  He has been attending Community college sine early 2011.  His behavior initially became suspect in early 2012 when he became more reclusive and quite.  After spending time in the Hospital, he became better, but then he stopped taking his meds, moved out in September to attend school on his own (though we paid for everything), and then it went downhill from there.

He is currently living again at home and seems unable to manage most simple tasks.  He was kicked out of his apartment by his roommate because of his bizarre behavior.  He again believes himself a god or demi-god, and says that his mother and I cannot possibly be his parents.  He hears voices that he argues with.  He reasons that we should all join his vision for a Utopian society and gets angry with me when any objection is made as to how it could possibly work. He goes into bouts of rage where he calls his mother and I any number of vile names, usually when we point out the flaws in his vision, but not always then.  The rages can come out of nowhere at any time.  

He also is currently out of the National Guard per his own request as of November of 2012.  He has lost all of his friends.  And he works day and night searching the internet to research a book he wants to write to convince people to join his new vision for the world (which BTW, includes everyone moving out of their homes all over the world to move into camps where they would not have to work or worry, tearing down the cities, and using the materials salvaged to create new housing - no elaboration provided).  He refuses to do housework as well because he is not our slave.  We are actively trying to get him to seek psychiatric help, but he refuses saying that nothing is wrong.  

Question for you is, are their physical issues that can exist (such as tumors to the brain) that can cause the kind of behavior described and, if so, what steps should we take to ensure that any doctor looking into his condition examines the possibility?  Also, with regard to medications that may be prescribed, is there any way we can assist in making sure that what medications being prescribed actually work for him?  He is currently 21 years of age, so we have no direct rights to see to this.

I am only a layman, but to the best of my knowledge, a physical issue can exist and they should at least do some baseline studies to rule that out.

It also sounds like schizophrenia may be the issue here? I am just guessing, I don't mean to be offensive.

I feel for you. I have had friends with issues. Once they are on medications, they feel good and then go off the medications as *they don't need them anymore" and once they are off them, it is difficult to make them understand why they need the medications.

Sadly, under the currently laws as you know unless you get a guardianship or have one appointed, it is going to be difficult to manage his health.