Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
epidermoid brain cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

epidermoid brain cyst

I am 43 years old I been diagnosed with epidermoid cyst 1 cm close to my basilar artery and I am afraid.
What if my cyst burst?
Do you know something about prognosis?
I'm seeing neurosurgeon on 14 this month and I have tons of questions.My cyst is located on my left side down...and I don't know what is brain function on this side?
May I have dizzy spells,memory problems and having left eye smaller cause of that small cyst?
I been born with left eye smaller..:(....I have a vision problem..till I was 5 years old.
Do you know from experience how big it needs to be before they consider surgery?
Basilar artery supply oxygen in brain and I am so afraid it may burst...
Thank you so much
I can only give you general information based on my layman's read of information.

Cysts are filled with fluid, in general. I have heard of a dermoid tumor - which is usually a twin that was absorbed early on in the development stage.

"Epidermoid and dermoid tumors are slow-growing benign tumors that result from a developmental abnormality. These rare tumors occur when a certain kind of tissue in an embryo, called ectodermal tissue, becomes misplaced in the developing brain. This causes the formation of a fluid-filled cyst, called an ectodermal inclusion cyst, that makes up the tumor. Epidermoid tumors comprise one percent of brain tumors, and dermoid tumors just 0.3 percent. These tumors also are referred to as germ cell tumors because the ectodermal tissue is known as a germ layer."

I guess you have what the cyst is as listed above.

Even though the cyst may not be all that large, it is usually location that creates issues, so if you have symptoms, which it sounds like you do, you should get treated and that should be the removal of most if not all of the cyst.

IMHO I don't think this has anything to do with your eye - but you can ask your doctor. Do keep us posted. BTW I always get copies of my films and reports (and labs) for my own records so I know everything and learn more that way. I also know if I am properly treated as well.
Pain Tracker
Pain
LittleMissSweetie commented on Life after brain tumo...
Aug 28
mhv commented on photo
Aug 26
mhv commented on photo
Aug 26