Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Beware of evil meatballs...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Beware of evil meatballs...

Okay, I'll admit, I'm still in the "baby steps" of figuring out what I can and can't eat because of wheat sensitivity/ celiac issues. Last night I made spaghetti and meat balls for the family -using rice noodles for me, of course. I made my own sauce from scratch, but I used pre-made meatballs without checking the ingredients first. When will I learn?!? It turns out the meatballs were evil. They contained WHEAT FLOUR (they were friggin' MEATBALLS -what's wheat flour doing in them?!?) and they struck with a vengeance this morning. So my message to all Celiac newbies...-BEWARE of evil meatballs...:P ~MM
Yeah, you wouldn't expect prepared meatballs to have flour, because you probably wouldn't add flour to any you make yourself.  So, naturally, you would wonder why.  Well, I've watched the "pros" make meatballs on cooking shows.  Some add breadcrumbs to the meatball mixture.  The theory is that this will make the meatball more tender.  The other thing to consider is any sauce prepared meatballs might come in.  Sauce is inheritently evil for Celiacs, because most of the recipes will use the cheap white flour as the thickener.

What you can try to do is find a gluten free meatball recipe online.  There must be some recipe online that you can use since now there are so many gluten free recipe sites all over the web now.  If you can't find one, you will have to play around and modify a regular meatball recipe you find.

The other thing I learned from watching the pros on TV making meatballs is that some combine beef and pork both.  This is important to know, because there are quite a few people who can't eat pork.  And, I don't mean for religious reasons.  Pork just isn't very digestible, so if you already have digestive issues it wouldn't surprise me to hear that you don't tolerate pork either.  

But, I do know what you mean.  I remember making "meatballs" when I was a kid.  I thought "meatballs" were just big balls of the hamburger meat that mom used when making spaghetti with ground beef.  My attempt wasn't harshly criticized, but I did learn that there is actually more to it than just rolling seasoned hamburger meat into a ball.  Still, who would've thought this, right?  After all, they're called "meatballs", right?  Anyway, I know this is likely why you thought you were being careful.

And, this is still an important post, because I'm sure you're not the only one who just found out there is more to "meatballs" than you thought.  Super post.
Flour is used as a thickner in almost everything. Be really careful with soups by adding flour it creates more quantity so just keep on the look out. Also with your meatballs as u well no it can be used as a coating even though it may not be visible. Be careful of lollies because they may coat them in some kind of flour substance but in won't appear in the ingredients because it's not actually in the lolly. I'm not sure where ur from maybe America because you spell celiacs without the o coz in Australia we spell it like this " coeliacs" point being is there is a brand of lollys called allens lollys I would eat them as there was no gluten substances in the ingredients and I couldn't figure out why I was still getting so I'll after eating them. So my mum called up the company and turns out they coat the moulds with flour so that when the lolls are ready they come out easily even though it was not visible there were traces of gluten on the lollys hence me feeling so sick. Just something extra we as coeliacs can actually eat glutenous rice gluten is what makes things stick together you would have noticed that gf food is crumbly this is because the gluten is not there to hold it together. The only reason it is called glutenous rice is because the rice secretes a sticky substance causing it to stick together like gluten would stick food together. Glutenous rice and rice in general is 100% gluten free ( as long as it's plain and not sauces have been added unless the sauces are gf as well) so many people think that rice contains it so they stay away from it with coeliacs. I live off rice and without it I don't no what I would do. Just a few thoughts of mine that I thought would be handy. Good luck and best wishes on finding foods that you like and are gf you will feel so mug better after being on the diet for a while. Don't surprised if it takes u a little longer to get around the supermarket until u figure out what is gf. I no when I was diagnosed it took my mother and I four hours to get the groccerys because we didn't realize how much gluten was in everything! Be careful with cereals to especially things like rice bubbles and corn flakes as they are rice and corn you presume that there's no gluten rice and corn are the main ingredients of those two cereals but they actually add wheat starch and flour as well. Hope this helps in some way if u have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Best wishes take care
Good information about lollipops.  I don't eat them, so it's not something that crosses my mind.  Now that I know that, I would be suspicious of all hard candies, because they would naturally go through the same process with the molds.  Cold cereals never appealed to me much because I can't really tolerate a lot of dairy either, so I don't think about them much either.  I only know that there is hidden gluten in a lot of foods that doesn't have to be listed on the label.  I have found that simple cooked rice or other gluten free grains with non-dairy milk substitute that I know I can trust works very well for me.

That's good information about reading labels.  It is very important to read the labels.  And, there is one good reason alone to learn how to cook from scratch right there.  At least when you make it yourself in the manner I mentioned before you know what is in your food.  There are a lot of sites online with gluten free recipes these days.  Now that our part of the world is heading for the cooler part of the year, it will be more enjoyable to turn on the oven and bake, since that helps heat up the home when it's needed.  So, now is the perfect time to start learning to make your own gluten free desserts and such.

I'm not good with dairy either it's like a secondary condition to celiacs being lactose intolerant. If your in America or anywhere check in your chemist I think I going them in target when I was in the us; there the lactase enzyme tablets you eat one before you have dairy and it shouldnt bother you they are my lifesaver. It's funny with celiacs because I've never been a breakfast person or into cereals either now I no dairy and gluten. I love making my own things from scratch everyone always says that it must be hard but I find it so much easier. As you said then you know what's in your food and you are more confident in eating it as you know that it wont make you sick. The four ingredients gluten free cookbook is great some really yummy recipes in it!
I agree with you about cooking from scratch being easier.  Not being much of a baker in the first place before discovering the gluten issues means that there really isn't a whole lot to unlearn.  Ordinary cooking is actually really easy with gluten free diet.  It's only the baked goods recipes I'm still learning about, but it isn't really a major issue for me, since baking isn't a priority in my life.