Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Celiac and IBS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Celiac and IBS

IBS is a symptom of celiac,Ibs is not a disease or illness its just a symptom.And i believe most of us IBS sufferers have some sort of intolerance of another and that would explain why we have the ibs.
Bevfly, I tend to disagree with you that IBS is not an illness. Just because our current system of testing can't turn up anything and IBS is therefore a based on excluding all other causes doesn't mean it's not real. There's something that underlies the condition, but unfortunately all anyone has really found is an early proliferation of mast cells in certain areas of the GI tract.I fully expect in the future advanced testing techniques will show that IBS has a valid etiology, and perhaps more than one.

For many with IBS, they may actually have celiac or another form of intolerance. But that's not true for all IBSers, because despite testing and trying every exclusion diet known nothing changes their symptoms.

For those who finally find out they have to exclude gluten from their diet it's a wonderful relief to finally know the cause and make the changes that will lead to relief.
I totally agree with what you said.  My GI isn't convinced I have Celiac, but there is no doubt I have IBS.  I keep telling him that I definitely do better when I stay away from gluten.  If I cheat a little, my colon reacts and my eczema flares up.  That's not the exact same skin issue with Celiac, but it does coincide with gluten intake.  Anyway, my GI understands that I know my body better than anyone else does, so he tells me that he agrees that whether or not I have Celiac that there is no doubt that I still need to avoid gluten and dairy products.  

I never knew about the mast cells.  My GI never mentioned those.  How are those found?  I have already had recent colonoscopy and endoscopy tests.  If no biopsy is taken in the colon, how do they find the mast cells?  Biopsies were taken with the endoscopy, but that's because the GI found obvious signs of gastritis.  He never mentioned finding anything with the biopsies, though, so they must not have found anything significant, like H-pylori.  So, I know I'm H-pylori negative.  But, I have no idea if they tested for mast cells, because I didn't know about this.  Otherwise I would've asked about it.
Furballsmom, there are a lot of different skin issues that can happen with celiac - it doesn't have to be the traditional 'rash.' My husband gets blotches that look nothing like DH. I know others who have open sores, or sores that don't want to seem to heal on their hands and that's also due to celiac, so the recognized symptoms attributed to celiac may only apply to children and early diagnosis. I'm beginning to think that adult onset celiac may be a different critter altogether.

The mast cells are mentioned in some colonoscopy data that was found when docs scoped very, very early in the course of IBS. There were increased levels only in certain specific areas of the colon. If people are/were scoped later in the course of IBS the mast cells are gone.

In addition, the mast cells only turned up because the docs took 'blind' biopsies - there's nothing seen at the surface - so it was an interesting finding. It's hypothesized that the mast cells proliferate, spill their contents over a period of time and irritate the surrounding tissues and the neural cells - which sets up a kind of 'chain reaction' for a period of time - perhaps leading to a neural wiring 'malfunction.'

If you go to www.pubmed.com and search for IBS and mast cells I believe you'll be able to view a number of abstracts on the subject, and you may also be able to link to the articles. I think you can also query at www.medscape.com and come up with some articles.
Thanks.  I'll be sure to check this information out.  I do know that whether this is Celiac or not, though, that gluten needs to be avoided in my case.
I still believe that IBS is not an illness regardless of what anyone thinks.Ive had it now for a few years and i know that its certain foods that cause mine to flare up.You just have to do what is best for yourself to make it more tolerable.I worked as a flight attendant and a lot of the girls suffered with similar problems,so i makes me think that lifestyle habits etc have a lot to do with it also.