Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Could these symptoms be Celiacs in my 18 m/o? AND Husband??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Hello friends. My 18 mo/old is having a really hard time with just about anything she eats. Ive been doing some research and when I typed in distended belly (which she often has) it started leading me towards celiac's and so I realized she has many "common" symptoms such as failure to gain weight(been stuck at 26 lbs for about 6 months now) , distended belly, large frequent (3-6/day) pale bm's a day , eats alot but only gains weight in belly, irritability, circles around her eyes, diaper rashes (due to frequent bm's i would think) , constant ear and respiratory infections since 5 months old.  This is what i thought about all of this... figured she would be tall and skinny and that's why she wasnt gaining weight, plus she's lactose intolerant and thought it might have something to do w/her being skinny. About her distended belly I thought she could be gassy, I thought her large frequent pale bms were due to something she ate, The fact that she ate alot but didnt gain weight made me think she'd be one of those lucky people with good metabolisms, I linked her irritability to her cutting  teeth,  circles around her eyes i thought were b/c of lack of sleep?  diaper rashes i thought were do to her eating alot of fruit so i cut out almost all fruits and fruit juices from her diet, and I blamed her constant ear and respiratory infections on the fact that she goes to Headstart and is still building immunities. So as you can see, i tried to think of a reason for everything that's been going on with her but when i read about celiacs realized that ALL of these things showed up under the "common symptoms" list and that is why I am here. Based on what you all know about celiacs, does it sound like she could have this? I was a wreck yesterday afternoon when i picked her up from school b/c i didn't know what to feed her and felt that everything i had in my kitchen was gonna hurt her in some way.  Im not the best or healthiest cook so Im having a really hard time accepting this. I have an apptm for her for this coming wed 12/8/10 but im afraid of the doctor again blowing me off. How can i get them to listen and to not think that im making all of this up? Ive had a hard time finding a good pedi in my area (perris,ca)  and so that is why i always try to figure things out on my own. any tips for me for when i take her in on wed,? and meanwhile should i try to get her some gluten free foods? or would that mess up the test results if they should draw blood on wed? I have 4 girls ages 10,4,her 18 mo and a 4 month old and  she is the only one having a hard time BUT my husband is also having very bad stomach troubles that include trips to the bathroom after he eats ANYTHING  (up to 6-9 diarreah (diarrhea) like bm's a day) and this has been going of for wow...a few years now I'd say like 3 yrs but we always linked it to his caffeine addiction. Yesterday he finally went cold turkey w/o caffeine and did well...until he had lunch and then it was back to the bathroom, atleast he only had 4 bm's yesterday  and not the typical 6-9. Now im starting to think HE may have celiacs? and my DD could have had inherited it from him? Gosh my mind is spinning and I'm so overwhelmed.                      
The best way to start to figure some of this out is to ask your doc to do some testing on your daughter. Try some blood tests that should include total IgA, IgA & IgG gliadin, and transglutaminase. Get your husband tested too. You'd be surprised at just how many adults are 'suddenly' being diagnosed with gluten issues. I believe the number is now about 1 in 125.

Don't stop feeling your daughter what she's currently eating until you have some testing done. It would be a shame to have inaccurate test results due to a change in diet, although the 8th is only a few days away.

If you can't get your doc to test your daughter and you want to pursue it, go to enterolab.com and read up on their fecal antibody testing which in my mind is more accurate than the blood tests in some individuals. It was the way we isolated my husband's celiac issues when all else failed.