Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Do I have celiac disease?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Do I have celiac disease?

I have been feeling unwell for about 11 months now.  I constantly feel bloated, have abdominal pain (especially under my left rib cage), excessive gas, pressure in my throat (uncomfortable swallowing) and abnormal bowels (sometimes constipated others, just soft foul smelling stools).  I have had all the tests for reflux (barium swallow, endoscopy & 24 ph study).  No reflux disease, no gastritis and no H. Pylori.  I did have my gallbladder removed 4 months ago due to a very low ejection fraction.  Shortly thereafter all my symptoms returned.  I have had blood tests done for Celiac, but the levels were consider normal?  Can the tests be false negative?  Should I demand an endoscopic biopsy?  I have been reading more and more about celiac and it seems to fit.  About 8 year ago I had problems with anxiety and an extended bout of eczema which I have read as being possible symptoms of celiac disease.  I took paxil for about a year and a half and was treated with eczema medicine.  Since then until now, I have never had any health related issues.  I'm 29 yrs old 6'4'' 200lbs, resting heart rate of 55 and BP 100 over 62.

I have been through the ringer of tests so to speak.  It seems to me that I either have Celiac or IBS.  I don't believe IBS is a fit at all.  It is my understanding that IBS is a mild disease and can be controlled by diet.  What I have does not feel mild at all, aside from the symptoms mentioned above, I'm getting itching sensation in my abdomen up to my neck, I get chest pains, occasionally my arms feel heavy, I'm having abnormally bad allergies and body temperature problems (though my actual temp is normal).  Furthermore, I have read that bowel movements can provide some relief with IBS and this is not the case.

My symptoms are constant every day and the only logical conclusion I can draw is that I am allergic or intolerant to something in my diet (that something likely being a common ingredient in many different foods, like wheat).

Does this sound like Celiac or something else?

Thanks!

The blood test for Celiac are commonly a false negative or can even be a false positive.  I would highly recommend that you demand a biopsy to confirm Celiac since that is the only way to actually get a diagnosis of Celiac.  Just make sure you go to a gastrointestinal doctor who is very familiary with Celiac and make sure he takes atleast 5 different samples since Celiac can affect your small intestine in"patches" flattening the villi.  My sister had the blood test about 3 years ago for Celiac which came back negative...since then she acquired Lupus, thyroid disease and a multitude of other things..about 1 1/2 years ago she went to another specialist who did the biopsy and finally gave her the correct diagnosis of "severe" Celiac Disease" - she had diarreah (diarrhea) daily because her Celiac disease had went so long without the correct diagnosis it had damaged her entire intestinal track...flattening all villi....not absorbing any nutrients whatsoever...causing consistent diarreah (diarrhea).  Unfortunately, between her living in TX me in NM and both being dx with Celiac have learned that most of the doctors we have ran across know very little about Celiac and give out wrong information.  I tell you all of that to encourage you to advocate for yourself, educate yourself as much as possibe and educate you doctor.  The key is researching to find a gastrointestinal doctor who is educated about Celiac Disease.
Good Luck!
What about Crohns Disease?? Have you had a colonoscopy? I had my gall bladder removed about 9 years ago and found out about 4 years ago that I have Crohns Disease I probably always id have it, but the dr never did the proper testing. I would demand all tests you feel needed. Dont let them miss anything....