HLA DQ8 positive?
hello,

i have been dealing with a variety of as-of-yet neurological symptoms for the past 14 months.  i am in the midst of MS and other autoimmune disease testing since an MRI revealed c-spine cord inflammation in january.

my rheumatologist ordered celiac disease testing a few weeks ago which revealed the following results:  

tTG Ab, IgA = <3 (normal)
IGA, Seru, 359 mg/DL (range 81-463)
HLA DQ2 (DQA1 0501/0505, DQB1 02XX) : negative
HLA DQ8 (DQA1 03XX, DQB1 0302) : positive

i realize that with the antibody results, i do not likely have celiac disease, but can anyone clarify the significance of the positive HLA DQ8 gene result?  from what i understand, one has to have DQ2 or DQ8 in order to be at risk of celiac.  is there anything else i should know about it?  i see my rheumie in a few weeks, but just wondered if i could get some information sooner than later.

thanking you all in advance for any insight you may have.

best wishes,
binx
I'm not quite sure but I guess you carry the gene for it but doesn't mean you will get the disease.

It means that you have the mutation in the HLA DQ8 gene that causes Celiacs disease.  Folks with mutations in both HLA DQ8 and DQ8 genes are at greater risk for developing Celiacs disease.  In your case you are positive for the HLA DQ8 mutation.  This means that you may or may not develop Celiacs.  It would take some sort of biological event to cause this gene to become dominant or expressed and, thus, you may began to develop the disease.

Good Luck
dear gravesgirl & trinity007,

thank you for taking the time to reply--your explanations are indeed helpful.  even though i am negative for celiac antibodies, i am starting to taper off gluten and hope to be gluten free very soon as an experiment just to see if my symptoms improve.  it certainly can't hurt me.

best wishes,
binx
Right, gluten free is pretty healthy eating, it's kind of like the South beach diet in the beginning. No carbs, just meat vegtables and fruit etc.. Good luck!
Do NOT put yourself on a gluten free diet till such time you have had an upper endoscopy.

Going on the gluten free diet if you have Celiac Disease can cause the damage to the villi in the gut to heal and thus when the gastrologist looks into the lining of your bowel and the pathology no damage can show up. Thus you will never know if you have Celiac Disease or not.

The gastrologist will most likely tell you to have say four slices of gluten containng bread for about six weeks and then he will do the upper endoscopy.

The diagnosised tests for Celiac Disease are having the gene(s) ie dq2 and or dq8; which you have. And the typical villi atropy. Nothing else.

A complete and no cross contaminated gluten free diet is VERY hard and very inconveniente to follow believe you me. Do you want to ring resturants speak to the cook re providing you with gluten free food?

I am really cannot understand why people will put themselves on a gluten free diet when they have not been fully diagnosed by a medical professional.

It has me beat.

Jennywren
If you're having autoimmune type reactions and are DQ8 positive you should definitely eliminate gluten. Your Dr did not run the full panel, and in addition the disease process of celiac is currently only measured by intestinal damage, but the point at which it hits your intestines is different for everybody. By that time so much damage may have been done and you may have developed more autoimmune disease. There are other tests Dr should run for a celiac panel which include: ttg IgA and IgG, EMA, and DGP IgA and IgG. Also AGA IgA and IgG will determine if your body is reacting to gluten, which it probably is. You will likely notice a significant improvement after about two weeks on a g.free diet. It sounds like it is poisoning you. It is not that difficult to avoid, especially once you realize that ingesting gluten is similar to ingesting arsenic for many of us.