Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Is gluten free really needed when one has celiac?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

My husband was recently diagnosed with celiac disease.  He had three blood tests, two said he had celiac disease and one says he doesn't.  He never knew this until he had these blood tests.  He never had any problems.  At his age is it really necessary to follow the gluten free diet.  Is this really a terrible condition for his age?  Is there any other way that celiac disease besides not have gluten?  Is there a special diet that he can follow without worrying about gluten?  I feel bad for him and I know how difficult this must be for him.  Can someone lead him and me in the correct direction?  Thank you.
Tags: celiac, Blood, test
Hi Carole,

if your husband has been disgnosed with coeliac disease then it is essential he adheres to a gluten free diet, as continuing to eat gluten will eventually lead to serious complications eg: anaemia and bowel cancer. following diagnosis he should be referred to a dietician who will be able to advise on suitable foods that are safe to eat.
i am coeliac and find it easy cooking gluten free dishes however it is quite difficult when eating out.  .
Elizabeth
Yes it's VERY important that he eats gluten free, also he should have a endoscopy with biopsy. The thing with celiac is that some adults don't have definitive symptoms. Nonetheless, you are doing damage to your intestines if you continue eating gluten. Your husband should have other tests that look for anemia or vitamin deficiencies This is what happens, the small intestine gets damaged and you can't absorb your nutrients in food.. My daughter was diagnosed at 30 and I am doing everything I can to educate myself and my family about it. It is tough but not impossible! The main thing is BREAD. You can't have regular supermarket, bakery bread. They do make gluten free bread though, although it's expensive. Udi's is the best I hear and Dr. Schar. There's lots of gluten free pasta too. Ten years ago, I'd say REALLY tough, nowadays, not do bad. You can still have meat, vegtables, fruit,dairy potatoes,most candy, you just have to get used to reading labels and knowing what to look for. If I were you I would try to help him any way you can to adhere to this diet. It's really not something to take lightly.
Its very important that he maintains his diet.  I was just diagnosed this past December and my GI doctor says that it was a very early diagnosis because on average individuals can go 10years before being properly diagnosed.  Continuing to eat products that contain gluten can lead to psychological problems, osteoporosis, lactose intolerance malnutrition, and cancer.

It is very difficult, however, Whole Foods has a list of its gluten free products that you can print out.  Go to the website, find your local store, then select special diets.  Also there are tons of cookbooks that not only have great recipes but also help you to stock your kitchen with gluten-free products.

Best Wishes to you and your husband
Following the diet is much better than the consequences for not following it.  My blood tests didn't come back positive, but my surgeon says he is convinced I have it, and I have to follow the diet anyway.  I wanted more tests because I was concerned I might have colitis instead of celiac or in addition to celiac, but it turns out some people with colitis get relief from following the gluten-free diet.  On top of that, I showed my surgeon painful lumps in the fronts of my shins, and he says it's an autoimmune condition ... that will go away when I stay away from gluten.  So I feel like I may be able to avoid getting lymphoma or adenocarcinoma because I was given these warnings, so I'm following the diet.  

My surgeon doesn't eat wheat or any gluten either.  He thinks wheat causes inflammation and aging in all people, so we should all avoid it.  
Well that is good to hear that's is probably is healthier. Some people actually say gluten is poison, and NOT just to celiacs.