Is there a possible link between ciliac disease after having a gastric by-pass?
Six years ago I had a gastric bypass with no complications.  About 2 years after surgery I developed a rash on the top of both hands, diagnosed as "granuloma annulare" (sp) and recently a spot has appeared on the top of one foot.  The rash is red, round and grainy; sometimes itchy.  The rash burns only when scratched, which I avoid doing.  I was prescribed 'Clobetasol Propionate" for the rash.  It went away one time but came back a few months later and has not gone away since.  
This past year I've noticed an unusual increase in gas, stomach bloating, and sometimes unusual bowel movements.  A few relatives (2nd - 3rd cousins) have been diagnosed with Ciliac disease.  I think I read that it can run in families.  It is possible that I've developed ciliac after having gastric bypass surgery.  I had no medical issues or any of the above symptoms prior to surgery, other than being obese.
Any information would be appreciated.  I am a 59 year old female.  Thank you.
You probably had either celiac disease or gluten sensitivity before the bypass, but it just managed to 'show itself' at this time. More and more adults are finding themselves in the same position and no one really understands why a surge of 'silent celiac' is recently being found.

I hope you've changed to a gluten-free diet and are finding your symptoms are slowly subsiding.