Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
No bowel movement in 8 months

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

No bowel movement in 8 months

Im a 22 year old woman. I have been living a nightmare for 8 months. In these last 8 months i have taken laxative after laxative and stool softeners (all prescribed ones)  as well as senna, dulcolax, dulcosate, fibregel, movicol etc. I have been hospitilized 7 times in this period and each time i recieve 3 daily hot oil enemas and a solution called picolax (usually used before bowel surgery) 3/4 times daily. I have even had a litre of bowel cleanser. I eat a fairly healthy diet and have introduced more salad and veg into it. I have tried every herbal remeday, old wifes tale solutions and all prebiotic drinks on the market. All of this to no avail.
I HAVE NOT HAD A SINGLE BOWEL MOVEMENT IN 8 MONTHS NOW and was in total despair with different drs giving me different advice. One saying eat fibre one saying dont and such like.
Last week i tried colonic irrigation. i was a new woman, for a couple of days anyway. I am now having colonics weekly along with weekly hot oil enemas and daily laxatives. And STILL no change...
I suffer terrible pain and abdominal distension. I feel nauseos constantly and generally tend to vomit after eating, and when really bad, after drinking anything too. I am constantly tired and my eyes are becomming almost jaundiced.
I have had a top layer bowel biopsy and this has come up normal.

I am at a complete loss and wondering if anyone has had similar experiences or can offer any help??
Are you on a gluten free diet or are you not sure if you have Celiac? I still am constipated after switching to gluten free but it's toned down a little, I always wonder if it's just from years of damage done. I'm also 22. I know this sounds crazy and may be a shot in the dark, but whenever I have anything with ground flax seed in it it makes me have to go. I sprinkle some in pancakes and whatever else I can. I've done stool softeners which never worked, did laxatives which had me on all fours crying on the bathroom floor, and you name it. For some reason flax seed and whatever other gluten free fiber I can get my hands on works or at least makes me go. I hope this may help a little, at least give it a try! And sip all day, perhaps the water and fiber will help get things back on track.  
hi iv tried lin seed but nt wot ur suggesting, i dnt no wot it is yet, but ill give ur ideas a go.thanks
Have you had an xray of your abdomen to rule out bowel obstruction?
ye its def not z bowel obstruction
I suffered with this same problem for more than 3 years. I had to do enemas every few days and they eventually stopped working. I finally discovered my problem was chronic food allergies and a MASSIVE gluten and grain allergy. I started drinking two fresh squeezed lemons each morning in warm water as a tea with a massive amount of agave sweeterner 5-6 tablespoons to taste. The agave, in high amounts, is a fantastic laxative. But my I had to elminate ALL wheat and glutin products before I got resuts. Now I only eat meat, vegetables and fruits, zero processed foods, also people with food allegies often have candida so nothing fermented: no soy sauces or vinegars and if certainly no beer. I recommend you get tested by a someone specializing in food allergies--immediately. This is what I did. You may even be allergic to certain fruits and vegetables. I am and it is difficult but it is managable . Also try the Master Cleanse. You need to give your digestive system a break and begin a program to flush you out. The Master Cleanse is inexpensive and relatively easy. As someone who struggled with this horrible problem for years, I hope you get better soon. I wouldn't wish this kind of suffering on anyone
hi although it is rare have  you heard of hirshbrungs disease...its not common in young people..but just to rule it out..although not to scare you i am going from personal experience..im sure its not this but just process of elimination can sometimes help...best of luck hun x