Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Should I get tested for celiac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Should I get tested for celiac

This question is preferably for one of the forum Dr's to answer. My question is: I am wondering if I should get tested for celiac sprue/gluten intolerance. I ask this because I have symptoms that are in line with celiac disease symptoms, such as light-colored stools, malabsorption, etc. However, I have had a bout on and off of IBS, which can mimic sprue symptoms. Also, I have come up with an idea of what's going on: The symptoms all disappear whenever I start taking my fiber supplement regularly, and reappear after it's been several days since I've taken it. My theory is my intestine builds up a "varnish" of some type, causing the loose stool, hungry after eating feeling, light colored stools, etc, because of preventing water from being absobed as well as preventing the villi from receiving the food's nutrients, which is cleared away after a couple of days of taking the fiber again. All this to ask: should I get tested for celiac?
Tags: celiac
It is always good to know, just in case, since celiacs is a really dangerous disease that can destroy your vili for good, leading to bleeding etc.

If you get tested negative, the better.
If you are up for it, try the special carbohydrate diet for one month which was developed for people with celiacs, crohns and IBS.
It changes the gut flora and reduces inflammation, no matter the underlying cause. It even tastes good, IMO. I have been on it for 9 months now, and I highly recommend it (I am a master of nutrition science and have tried some of the medical diets around for my condition before I found the only one that helped)
Good luck!