Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
debilitating pain in upper left quadrant
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

debilitating pain in upper left quadrant

This is going to get quite lengthy but please bare with me.  When I was 15 years old, i started experiencing this pain in my upper left quadrant.  I would get it about 3-5 times a month. it is not gas pain or anything like. it is a debilitating sharp shooting that stems from right below the xiphoid, shoots under the ribs. the pain ends at the base of the 12th rib.  It sometimes shoots into my back. I can not move, i can't breath, i can't talk, laugh or do anything because it is the worse pain I have ever felt in my life, worse than a shattered bone. when I was 16, i was at a cheerleading competition and this pain came on, they rushed me to the ER because I sa the snow drenched in sweat, tachycardic, severely high blood pressure, while in a cheer uniform.  I had tests done, but my doctor concluded it was an intercostal strain. Bull. When I was 18 I was still getting this pain, and experience symptoms of IBS. My doctor concluded that it was wheat allergy. I still ate wheat even though it made me go to the bathroom literally 12 times a day. I am now 24.  Over the past 6 month months the pain was so frequent I thought I was dying. It was almost everyday.  I was fatigued constantly, anemic, i have bone pain in my shins,(non-runner), difficulty concentrating, and processing information..I eliminated gluten from my diet about a month ago and I haven't had the pain since.  I am petrified to start eating gluten again so I can get the celiac's test because of the pain but could this be celiacs? I have considered everything, from thyroid disease(runs in the family) to chronic pancreatitis, to gall bladder disease.  I don't know. and I can't afford to go to the doctors and do a bunch of unnecessary test.