Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
debilitating pain in upper left quadrant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

This is going to get quite lengthy but please bare with me.  When I was 15 years old, i started experiencing this pain in my upper left quadrant.  I would get it about 3-5 times a month. it is not gas pain or anything like. it is a debilitating sharp shooting that stems from right below the xiphoid, shoots under the ribs. the pain ends at the base of the 12th rib.  It sometimes shoots into my back. I can not move, i can't breath, i can't talk, laugh or do anything because it is the worse pain I have ever felt in my life, worse than a shattered bone. when I was 16, i was at a cheerleading competition and this pain came on, they rushed me to the ER because I sa the snow drenched in sweat, tachycardic, severely high blood pressure, while in a cheer uniform.  I had tests done, but my doctor concluded it was an intercostal strain. Bull. When I was 18 I was still getting this pain, and experience symptoms of IBS. My doctor concluded that it was wheat allergy. I still ate wheat even though it made me go to the bathroom literally 12 times a day. I am now 24.  Over the past 6 month months the pain was so frequent I thought I was dying. It was almost everyday.  I was fatigued constantly, anemic, i have bone pain in my shins,(non-runner), difficulty concentrating, and processing information..I eliminated gluten from my diet about a month ago and I haven't had the pain since.  I am petrified to start eating gluten again so I can get the celiac's test because of the pain but could this be celiacs? I have considered everything, from thyroid disease(runs in the family) to chronic pancreatitis, to gall bladder disease.  I don't know. and I can't afford to go to the doctors and do a bunch of unnecessary test.
Wow, this is a lot to deal with at your age.  What you're describing sounds like celiac disease to me, and just like I was when I had gallbladder stones.  What you need is to see a really smart, efficient doctor like my surgeon.  I had to see him for something else, but he saw how thin and unhealthy I was, and asked questions.  He did an ultrasound right there in his office and discovered gallstones in 5 seconds.  It was after that that the celiac disease came to light.

I can't stay on gluten long enough to get tests, and money is tight also.  He says I need to just stay off gluten.  He'd prefer I ate as much raw, healthy food as possible.  The lists of foods he wants us to eat is short and simple and goes for everyone (!), but a huge change from the American diet.  I'm not saying you can't eat anything a celiac can eat, but he is all about health, and if that's the priority, this is what he recommends for mainstay food:  

Do eat:  Fruits, vegetables, nuts (not peanuts) seeds, eggs and meat.  

He recommends the green smoothie diet be our new fast food.  There is a book and you can even see youtube videos on it.