return of symptoms
My daughter is four years old, she was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation type 1 in Aug. of 2010. She received the decompression surgery in Jan. of this year (2010) for the first few months her syptoms seemed to be gone however, they slowly are returning it started with mild headaches, now the headaches are becoming stronger and lasting longer than they ever did in the past (even before surgery) and she is vomiting again when the headaches come on, she is also complaing of numb legs and feet. Before the surgery the headaches would come on if she was getting over excited, rough play, or really hot, now they come on no matter what she is doing. She has a MRI six months after the surgery and the Dr. did say the fluid wasn't flowing correctly still and that he wanted another MRI done a year after the surgery which would be Jan of 2012. My question is, is it normal for syptoms to come back and being that she is so young should I consider another surgery while she is still growing. I am struggling with this so much I just want her to be better and thats what we thought the surgery would do the first time but here we are less than a year later and it seems to being getting worse.The Chiari caused central sleep apnea which also hasn't gotton better since the surgery. I forgot to mention that as a result of the Chiari she was diagnosed with syringomyelia.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

It is possible for this to happen when there is another issue such as tethered cord , ICP or a CSF leak...or even a rejection to a dura patch if one was used.

The fact she still has a CSF flow issue makes me ask this question,,,did she have a dura plasty and lamenectomey? There r several types of decompressions, do u know which type she had.

Having symptoms resurface a few months post op is not uncommon as they will as we heal, but if they r worse then b4 surgery, then something is wrong.

If ur DD has a syrinx, do u know did it shrink at all post op?

I would look into tethered cord if this was not checked b4 her first surgery, this will cause these types of symptoms.U may even want to get an opinion from another dr, one that is a chiari specialist to see what  or how he /she would guide u.

"selma"