Children - Special Needs Community
16 month old not crawling or walking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

16 month old not crawling or walking

My 16 month old daughter only last night started to pull up on furniture to standing, Yay. She has never crawled and doesn't walk yet. She absolutely hates being on her stomach, which I feel has delayed these stages. She doesn't roll over from back to tummy, but I know she can, she just doesn't like to. Any suggestions and other parents who have similar child development in their toddlers. Do I need to see someone, or is this just her being different, and slower in her progress of development?
Hi there and welcome to med help.  Well, some kids are less physical than others.  I have two nieces that were late walkers.  They were both more 'verbal' and talked early.  I've heard before that kids that walk and are physical early are less verbal and verbal kids are less physical.  

I do, however, think that you should let your doctor know this.  She could have low tone which is not uncommon.  This means her muscle tone is low and you see it particularly with those core muscles (the ones needed to lay on stomach and hold head up).  Babies and toddlers will avoid what is hard for them.  The question then becomes why is it hard for them if it isn't hard for other babies.  Another reason for slowness to progess in these areas would be something called praxis and dyspraxia to be exact.  There are all different degrees of dyspraxia with very mild to severe.

My oldest child has sensory integration disorder and actually walked at 9 months.  He never crawled.  Crawling actually takes more strength and coordination than walking and many children with delays skip it.  

None of this should make you panic, let me be clear.  While my son does have sensory integration disorder and mild dyspraxia (motor planning)--  he is now almost 9 and doing great.  He's in sports, does well in school, has friends, etc.  But when he was in the toddler years, we had to work with him on some things.  

Physical therapists work on low tone and occupational therapists work on dyspraxia.  What I'd do if I were you is to talk to your pediatrician.  If they agree that it is time to get things checked out, he can refer you to your areas early intervention program (birth to age 3).  Every city has contracted groups that then will evaluate your child and provide any needed services.  I highly recommend it.  

With the tweaking we did to help my son, he progressed very well and functions  like other kids now.  good luck