Children - Special Needs Community
Is it Hypoxic?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Is it Hypoxic?

My 6 year old daughter was born 4 weeks premature due to "failure to thrive", she was born with GERD and suffered from apnea and on an apnea monitor for 4 months taking Zantac and Reglan for a year. Her milestones came later than most children and at 2 was diagnosed Autistic ( I believe to be a wrong diagnosis).  Could she have suffered from Hypoxia? She is 6 years old and functioning at a lower level, will repeat Kindergarten, speech delay, memory loss. Can she be tested now so many years later for hypoxia?
I am sorry we missed this post, it would be a good idea for you to go back to the forums page and click on the right ,the expert/Doctor forums are on the right there is a childrens one to look at ..good luck
My daughter was full term when I had her, but had low birth weight. She also was diagnosed as having GERD after numerus episodes of turning purple, supposably from GERD. I am a nurse. I feel that obviously she was hypoxic if she was purple, meaning she wasn't getting enough oxygen. It was brushed off by her pediatricians as nothing. One episode was so bad, I took her to the hospital, and they tried to act like it was no big deal. I insisted tests to be done so I could find out why this was happening, she was in the hospital for 3 days. She had these episodes while we were there too and finally was diagnosed as having GERD. My daughter is now 2 and a half and showing signs of autism. It makes you wonder. I believe any lack of oxygen is going to give you some brain damage. Its a shame that now she has to pay the price, because her problem wasn't taken seriously.