Children - Special Needs Community
Protruding Breast bone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Protruding Breast bone

I have recently noticed that my 6 year old daughter's breast bone is protruding a bit. What causes such a thing. Every once in a while she will complain that it is bothering her or hurting her! I am looking for  a little input here! So please help if you can!
I posted a similar comment last night.  My 12 year old has a protruding breastbone/sternum as well. Can someone please help with an answer to this question.  My daughter has an appointment with her pediatrician Wednesday.  I'm beginning to do some research and until her appointment date, I will remain very concern.
I wouldn't worry if I were you. I had the same issue when I was a child, and once I grew and devloped it became less noticable, though I know my mother was quite alarmed when she first saw it (around the time I was 7 years old). The doctor told her not to worry;  to just keep an eye on it, and if it continued to grow that I should come back, which it didn't really get bigger or smaller. It's still there, (the left side of my breast-bone, at the top of my rib cage sticks out just a bit) but no one would ever notice besides me, since I developed breasts which make it obviously less apparent, and grew into the rest of my body. But I was always very boney and skinny anyways, so I think it's usually only evident if the child doesn't have much fatty tissue to cover those protruding bones. Either way, no part of the human body is perfect or symmetrical, so don't let those little imperfections get you worried! I hope everything is ok and it's nothing serious! You may want to just check with her pediatrician to be sure, or if it can wait, just bring it up at her next physical. Good luck!