melatonin
I've seen that a couple of you give your children melatonin. A friend of mine recommended I give this to my son, but I couldn't find any information on how safe it is. Does it cause any long term side-effects? I realize this substance is naturally found in the body, but too much of a good thing is sometimes a bad thing. How much is safe to give? My son's therapist believes he has a sensory disorder. He'll be five y/o in November and has only slept through the night a couple times.He also has anxiety. Any information any one can give me on melatonin would be very appreciated. Especially if you or your child has been using for a while. My DS actually seems to get more wound up towards bedtime, maybe because we turn our house lights on then? The only medication he takes is Miralax for irritable bowel syndrome and encopresis.
Hello irishred795,

I feel absolutely terrible that no one has been able to answer your post since the time you posted it.  I had been away with a recent surgery, but I still did not have the answer you were looking for, myself.  Since I have no experience with Melatonin myself (or for my son, or any of the Mom's I know with their children - and perhaps that is because we are in Canada) I wondered if this is better answered by your family doctor?
Often even if the items are homoeopathic or natural, they will still have the best advice of whether it is safe to give or even tell you how much.  As an alternative, usually pharmacists can give you some advice on these too, if you can get it over the counter locally at drugs stores.  They would probably be the best to tell you what its uses are and how well it may work.

I am sorry that I couldn't be more helpful....  Please let me know if I can help with this if you are unable to ask either your doctor or pharmacist.  I can always put the question to my parent/child group or my own medical team and pass on what I find out!

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Children - Special Needs Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
I use mellatonin for my son to sleep. He is autistic... It works great and one of the best things about him taking it is that he has not been Ill at all with anything ( over a year) he used to be sick literally all the time!!! So that is huge! I read an article about mellatonin building immune systems. The first three days he took it he was extremly upset and crying a lot because the tierdness was prob very overwhelming... Now he take it in his bedtime milk and is a sleep within a half hour and bedtime is very easy for us now...I am in Canada and I know a few people that use it. I use the liquid form. I reccomend it to anyone that has a child with big bedtime issues. It is safe from everything I have been told and read