Children - Special Needs Community
shunt malfunction?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

shunt malfunction?

I have a four year old son that had a grade 3 bleed when he was born. He had hydrocephlius and now has a shunt. He has cp and is mentally challenged. He has not had a shunt infection since he was about 1 and half old. For the most 7 days he has been vomitting, refusing to eat and drink most of the time, not keeping much down, sensitive to light, holding his head, lathargic, not wanting to walk or play, cranky, but not temp and no reddness around shunt or swollen. He is sleeping a lot. I cannot judge his coordination because he has cp so it is already not great and been worse lately cause of cp. I cannot judge his eyes because he has problems with them and went off dilation drops like two weeks ago and got glasses two weeks ago. so i am not sure if there is an issue with his shunt or something else. I know it is not an ear infection because he always holds his ear with those and he is not, he holds his head. he pefers to be flat or slightly propped in dark room. Could this be his shunt? oh and hes not potty trained really so cant judge that either. i am calling doc tomorrow but rally concered.