Children - Special Needs Community
shunt malfunction?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to learning and education, motor and movement, neurological brain injury, premature birth, sensory integration, speech and communication, and vision impairment list groups.

shunt malfunction?

I have a four year old son that had a grade 3 bleed when he was born. He had hydrocephlius and now has a shunt. He has cp and is mentally challenged. He has not had a shunt infection since he was about 1 and half old. For the most 7 days he has been vomitting, refusing to eat and drink most of the time, not keeping much down, sensitive to light, holding his head, lathargic, not wanting to walk or play, cranky, but not temp and no reddness around shunt or swollen. He is sleeping a lot. I cannot judge his coordination because he has cp so it is already not great and been worse lately cause of cp. I cannot judge his eyes because he has problems with them and went off dilation drops like two weeks ago and got glasses two weeks ago. so i am not sure if there is an issue with his shunt or something else. I know it is not an ear infection because he always holds his ear with those and he is not, he holds his head. he pefers to be flat or slightly propped in dark room. Could this be his shunt? oh and hes not potty trained really so cant judge that either. i am calling doc tomorrow but rally concered.
I am sorry you have had no response here, go back to the forums page and on the right you will see the expert/doctor forums put the question on the pediatrics forum there.good luck
This could well be a shunt malfunction as opposed to infection, with malfunction there would be no temperature or redness but a malfunction can lead to a rise in the CSF pressure can caused the symptoms you are describing. I hope you called the doc (I didn't see this until today) if not I would take him in as soon as possible.