Allergies, adnoids
8 year old grandson has had allergies for years and has taken different medications and eye drops dailey.  Now he has enlarged adnoids and a sleep study test revealed abnoral breathing patterns at night.  He has started having problems (behavior or possibly attention deficit) at school.  Can this all be related?  His eyes get red, he still needs a nap after school and is having a harder time concentrating.  We believe the doctors are going to advise he have his adnoids removed.  Anyone have any idea of what direction we need to take.  thans
Take the adnoids out!! My son, was a just a bear, has allergies, was not getting sleep at night, asthmatic... difficulty paying attention in school, grumpy, periodic naps... then we had his tonsils and adnoids out, OMG what a difference, he was sleeping thru the night so he was better rested, which means his attention is better, and a LOT less moody.  I just had a really good experience with it, I almost cried when I saw my son sleeping quietly with his mouth closed for the first time.  You wouldn't think that would be a big deal but it was.  

This is just my opinion, I'm not a Dr.
My 6 year old had tonsils and adenoids out.  He is doing alot better.  The ent said his adenoids we puss covered, and enlarged. He only had the eye cunk one time.   He too was (and still is when sick, and on meds) cranky and irratable.  He has asthma, and is prone to croup.  
He needs a good 10 or more hours of sleep to be rested. The meds can contribute alot to behavior I believe, I think clariton makes my son inpatient. (but everone reacts diffrent to meds) Also if he has been on a oral steroid like orapred, he is plain meannnnn. Even upto a week or two afterward.    He is now on singular for allergies. And, if he is acting "itchy" I give him 1/2 tsp  of benedryl, then at night 1 tsp.  Just enough to take the edge of with out putting him to sleep.  I would reccomend getting adenoids out...by a good ENT.  Hope this helps
My 5 1/2 year old had her tonsils and adnoids out at 3 years old because they were so enlarged they were giving her breathing problems. My daughter has asthma and numerous allergies, and once we had the surgery her sinus infections cleared up and her sleep was better and deeper. Your poor little grandson must be so tired!! The surgery will make a huge difference!