Children's Allergies Community
Please help!!!!!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to children’s allergies, hay fever, school issues, and allergies to animals and pets, birch pollen, drugs, dust mites, foods, insect stings, latex, mold, MSG, ragweed, peanut, and sulfite.

Please help!!!!!!!!

I have a 2 year old daughter who for the past 3 months now has had a cough that i just cant seem to get rid of. The first sighns were cough, fever, throwing up and sore throat. Then after all that settled down just a cough at night. I took her to the E.R. and they said it was a upper respitory infection and gave her Ceron DM Syrup, which she had a reaction to (rapid heart beating and rapid breathing) and i qiuckly discontinued use of it. Then, i took her back and they put her on Amoxicillin and she took it all and still did not get better! Then i took her to see a doctor and he said it was allergies and put her on Benadryll and yet still she had the cough, so i took her back. Now, she's on Cingular and still has the cough and my poor baby just needs some peacful sleep i feel so bad for her she's lost her voice and coughs so bad sometimes that she makes herself vomit at night! Please somebody tell me what's going on!
This sounds very familiar to me I went through this with my son.  It sounds like to me what she might have is asthma , the singular is good for the allergies. But, she might need what my son takes pulmicort he has been on it ever since 2 when he first got seriously sick (RSV).(only through winter)
  Does she ever wheeze with the cough?  My son is prone to croup (or a dry barky cough) .  I usually let the bathroom steam up and take him until the water runs cold.  I would ask for a referal to a asthma specialist doctor, and tell them what has been going on. Also that cough syrup???? All we have ever used was delsym every 12 hours, but since she is so young I would ask a doctor.  Also, has she ever tried albuterol nebulizer treatments? Asthma causes cough, but your doc call it RAD until she is older.  If that is what it is.  Hope this was somewhat helpful!  It could be just croup, and for that steam, and possibly prescribe steroid medicine if she is vomiting or having trouble breathing.
my son was also sick over a long period with a nasty chest infection ( thick mucus , chesty cough , vomiting) . He didnt eat for about 2 weeks and lost 5lbs in weight. In the end I treated him with lots of fluid, a spoonfull of honey each night before bed and a paracetamol medication. Doctor told me that cough medicines dont actually work, and that the cough will clear up on its own, and it did clear up in the end.  Maybe she had a reaction to all the drugs and they werent allowing her system to get rid of the virus on its own. Just give here plenty of fluids and try the honey , 1 teaspoon full with a little warm water to thin it out a bit. Honey is brilliant for sore throats and coughs. Good Luck
Post viral coughs can linger and linger and she may have had more than one cold back to back.
That said, you could try making sure you regularly wash all her bedding in hot water, remove any woollen blankets (replace with acrylic ones), make sure her room has low dust levels, keep any pets out of her room, and give her sips of water to help with the tickle.

Good luck.