Colon Cancer Community
Am I at risk?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Am I at risk?

I am a 35 year old woman from south america. My grandma died when I was 16 from colon cancer and probably intestinal cancer as well. She is my mother's mother. She died at the age of 63. My mom is 60 and is well. However, I would like to have a colonoscopy done on myself. My boyfriend says I have nothing to worry about but I am not sure I want to wait until I am older to start this process. Am I at risk for developing this type of cancer? Please help!
Related Discussions

Hi - normally colon cancer does not occur before the age of ~40 - but, having said that, I have seen a comment on Medhelp where (I think) a doctor says that the earliest age at which he/she has detected colon cancer is ~18 (but very very unusual etc).

If you have a family history of colon cancer, in my opinion, I do not think it is unreasinable to request a colonoscopy at an earlier age to provide (hopefully) maximum reassurance.  After all, what is the difference between age 35 and 40 one could argue?? Also I think you ought to ask at what intervals you should have colonoscopy "check-ups".

regards
Morecambe
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Colon Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949