Colon Cancer Community
Scared of Colon Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

Scared of Colon Cancer

I have had a sharp pain on the left side of my abdomen, actually just had my second ultrasound down on my ovaries to make sure everything is in check, just waiting for those results.  However, my mother passed away at the age of 50 from colon cancer, I am 36 and sadly to say have smoked off and on since I was 18 (never when pregnant)this makes me sick to my stomach that I still do this but it is such a terrible addiction and I cry almost nightly that I can't seem to kick the habit for my girls.  Anyhow, with the sharp pains on my left side, I also have had pencil like bowel movements, bloating, slight nausea, sore lower back........I want to demand a colonoscopy asap because of my mother.  I had one 3 years ago and it was all good, so could I have developed this cancer in that time?  I hope I am overreacting as I don't want to die, I have two girls the ages of 2 and 5 and I am soooooo scared that I have colon cancer, and it will be nobodys fault but my own.  Advice anyone??????
Hi......because of your mom you do need to stay on top of any colon issues and remember, the sooner you find something...the better.  I would see a Gastroenterologist for an evaluation and a colonoscopy.  It may just be a matter of adding more fiber to your diet but you need to know for sure otherwise you'll make yourself sick with worry. I know we all have a tendency to look the other way hoping nothing is wrong, but early detection is key to staying healthy and preventing something minor from becoming serious.  I do hope you find a way to quit smoking.  My husband quit 25 years ago and has endured many serious health issues which all the doctors say is a result of him having smoked at one time.  They said the cardiovascular damage caused by smoking is forever and I wouldn't want to see anyone go through what he has.  I have a niece who smokes the electronic cigarettes which you put water in and she's been away from regular cigarettes for about a year. I don't know much about them but you may want to research this as an alternative for your smoking.  I know it's a hard habit to kick and I wish you all the best.