Colon Cancer Community
TUBULOVILLOUS ADENOMA WITH HIGH GRADE DYSPLASIA,

This patient support community is for discussions relating to colon cancer.

Hello, and thank you in advice for any opinion or advice you may give me.

I am a 60 year old male in good health. At least I thought I was in good health. Last April I had a colonscopy done. This was my first. They found some polyps. The one they found in the ascending part of my colon was about 1.5cm. The pathology report said it was tubulovillous adenoma. I was scheduled for a second colonscopy in one year. The second colonscopy that was done this May found some regrowth at the point of the last polyp in my ascending colon. The pathology report  “FRAGMENTS; TUBULOVILLOUS ADENOMA WITH HIGH GRADE DYSPLASIA, ENSURE COMPLETE REMOVAL. Talking this over with my doctor  she said that this was not a cancer but could become a cancer if not totally remaved. She said she had tried to remove the rest of the polyp but was not sure because part of it was behind a fold. She gave me two ways to go. One was to have that section of my colon removed the second was to have another colonscopy in July after my colon has had a chance to heal from the last colonscopy and see if she had gotten all of this polyp. Thinking that this was not a cancer and that I did not like the thought of getting a resection done I told her that I would go for the third colonscopy to see if she got it all and avoid the resection.

After making that descision I have done some reading about polyps and am getting a little nervous. I am starting to second guess my decision. Maybe I  should just go ahead and go with the resection to make sure it is all taken out. If I go for the third colonscopy and she takes a little more off this spot and thinks she has it all, How can I be sure? What happens next? Do I go another year and have a fourth colonscopy and find that there is some regrowth and now it has developed into a cancer?

If anyone one has any word of advice or opinions on this I would like to hear from you.

Thanks again,
Domenick
I have the same pathology report as you and I am having the resection done.  My doctor did not give me a choice but he said that I should definitely have the rest of those polyps removed.  I think it is not worth the risk that they should become cancer.  Good luck.