Dental Health Expert Forum
Bone Deterioration
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Bone Deterioration

Tsang:  Could taking the bone strengthening pill, Fosamax, be the cause of  loosening teeth and rupturing of  roots ?  Had to have two implants done on teeth that were capped about 4-5 years ago.  I am a 74 year old female and was taking Fosamax for over a period of 5-6 years.  Had to have bone grafting done on gums  prior to the implants.  Please let me know if taking the Fosamax had any bearing.  
Related Discussions
540545_tn?1377626518
As of right now, there isn't any research that conclusively states that it can prove loosening or rupturing of roots.  Generally the people who are most susceptible to problems with Fosamax (or other bisphosphonates) are those generally taking it via IV (intravenous) and are taking larger doses for management of cancer.  It sounds to me that you were probably taking a lower dose by pill.

Here is the ADA public topic information in regards to jaw problems by Fosamax and other bisphosphonates.  It may be changed or updated as research progresses but as of right now, no, I would say that it probably did not have any bearing.

http://www.ada.org/public/topics/osteonecrosis.asp
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
540545_tn?1377626518
Jerome Tsang, DDSBlank
Irvine Modern Dentistry
Irvine, CA
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker