Dental Health Expert Forum
Dry Socket Complications

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dry Socket Complications

I had a lower first molar extracted 17 days ago. Oral surgeon said it was a very difficult extraction. I was okay w/Motrin and Vicodin first 3-4 days, then developed extreme pain. I went in 1 week after extraction and OS said I had dry socket and packed it. He told me it would be better in 4-5 days. He didn't tell me to come back in, and never put me on an antibiotic. I continued to use Motrin only, and I WAS much better after 5 days and stopped taking the Motrin. Yesterday, (16th day after extraction) I started feeling very painful twinges in my jaw when I lean forward and sometimes when I turn my head. I have some sporadic pain in my jaw near the socket but it seems to have spread a little.

Should I be on an antibiotic, or is this just normal slow healing? I don't have any facial swelling. How would I know if my jaw is infected? I don't want to be alarmist about it, but I'm worried about it because I've read that you can die from an infection in the jaw that spreads.

Thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is not necessary for you to be on an antibiotic if you have a dry socket.It sounds like you had the appropriate treatment.You would have swelling if there was an infection.This might be still part of the healing process,but if you are concerned then see the oral surgeon to ease your mind.