Dental Health Expert Forum
Finding dentist for root canal in foreign country

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hi.  I need a root canal. How do I find a trustworthy dentist to perform one in a foreign country (the Philippines)?

I have doubts about the quality of my existing care.  I have visited multiple dentists, and each successive one I visited  with questioned the practices and conclusions of the prior dentists.  

The second dentist said the first dentist's conclusions were based off a poor panoramic x-ray.  He identified 3 different root canal sites.  

The third dentist said panoramic x-rays are inappropriate for diagnoses and recommendation of root canals, and after individually x-raying the 3 teeth, recommended only 2 of them receive root canals.  

Finally, a trusted advisor said I should seek aggressive drainage of the canal sites over a 2 week period, before allowing them to be sealed. He questioned as too fast dentist #3's preference for performing and sealing a root canal in one day.

After 3 dental visits, my confidence is weak.  How do I find a good root canal dentist in the Philippines?
Sorry.  That's a tough question.  I wish there was a website review to find out some reviews on the doctors around the area.  Any personal referrals you can depend on?