Dental Health Expert Forum
How Chemotherapy Affects Root Canals/Crowns

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I just went to my dentist who said I should have three teeth extracted that had root canals.  One cap came off of one about a week ago, and I took it into my dental appointment, and he said that my tooth was too far gone to place the cap back on.  I told him that I was suppose to start taxol chemo with herception targeted therapy.  He sent me to an oral surgeon the next day, and he agreed that they should be extracted.  I don't understand how they might become infected, because the roots are dead and they are already filled.  One is a wisdom tooth that was done at least 25 years ago, and it never had a cap on, and the tooth eventually disappeared.  The other two are numbers 13 and 14 (side by side) --one of those is the one that the cap just came off of, and the other root canal tooth fractured before a cap was put on.  I haven't had any pressing problems with them as far as pain goes, and they have been there for several years.  I'm wondering if it's really necessary to pull number 13 and 14 (they tend to show if I smile).  My dentist thinks they could become infected somehow and I'd like to know what you advise.  I'm concerned the teeth will start to shift and come out eventually--the ones remaining.  My appt is in one week for extractions and chemo begins afterwards.  Please help!!  Thank you.  I'm scared because I didn't expect this complication before my chemo sessions started.  Thanks again.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It sounds like  that it is necessary to have those teeth extracted and I would suggest you have that done before you start the chemo. After you are feeling better then consider how you would like to have them replaced.The teeth can shift and it sounds like it will effect your smile.Good luck!