Dental Health Expert Forum
Impacted Wisdom Tooth Symptoms?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Impacted Wisdom Tooth Symptoms?

I had braces put on back in May of 2012 when I was 18. Since then i have had my wisdom tooth cut through the gums on the top and bottom left hand side. I haven't had any symptoms that the top right hand side will be coming in soon or not but my wisdom tooth on the bottom right does cause me problems for a 1-3 weeks at a time and goes away for a while. It started giving me troubles again a couple of weeks ago but this time it also cause numbness and a tingling feeling on the right hand side of my tongue and gums along the right lower side of my mouth. I feel constant soreness and pain from the wisdom tooth but the numbness and tingling only occurs noticably when I try to eat or open my mouth more than an inch. It seems to be getting worse on a daily basis. It tends to be the worst in the morning when I wake up but I believe that could just be from clenching and grinding my teeth at night. I guess my question is, should I worry about it being an impacted wisdom tooth that could have caused an infection already?
Yes you should be concerned only because a wisdom tooth can get infected and result in abscesses, etc.  I would recommend seeing a dentist or oral surgeon and finding out whats going on.  They may recommend removal of the wisdom teeth,