Dental Health Expert Forum
Infection after gum surgery
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Infection after gum surgery

I had a large cracked filling replaced about a month ago.  The gum in that area had been sore ever since, so I went back to the dentist.  It was between #19 & #20.  Turns out a piece of the new filling lodged into my gum and it got infected.  The dentist said that the filling didn't take, and that I now needed a crown on #20.  He was going to fit me with a temp crown.  

When he gave me a recap after the procedure, he told me he had to perform gum surgery due to the damage from the filling.  He cut away a piece of gum all the way around the front and back of the tooth.  He put on a temp crown & sealed the inside of my mouth with dental putty.  The outside gum closest to the cheek was not covered with the putty, so I can easily see it.  He did not prescribe any antibiotics.  This was 4 days ago and I think the gum is infected.  It still bleeds, but not a lot.  It hurts & burns more every day.  The gum is red and a little swollen.  There is a large dark area between the tooth next to it, and there is a white spot next to that.  A piece of the putty fell off today and now there is a white "blister" thing there.  I called the dentist and he told me that there should be no infection because he removed it all.  He did call in antibiotics today after I asked for them.

The tooth is also very sore.  I don't know if it is because of the crown prep, or because I need a root canal.  He recommends that I get a root canal on the tooth before fitting the permanent crown.  He says the tooth doesn't need it right now, but I should do it now as a preventative measure.  

So finally, here are my questions.  Does it sound like the gum is infected or is this normal 4 days after gum surgery?  Should I get the root canal even though I don't need it right now, or should I risk ruining a crown in the near future?  Is there any way of knowing if this dentist caused the damage in the first place?  Should I get a second opinion?  

Thanks for listening to my sob story, I appreciate any help!