Dental Health Expert Forum
Lumps on Neck and Sores in Mouth - is it Cancer?!

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I've had problems with my mouth for the past 8 months, it started when I noticed that one of the bumps on the back of the roof of my mouth was white and enlarged. My mouth was very dry, but it would improve when I ate, chewed gum, etc. Just over a month ago I had a biopsy done on the white bump, and it came back negative.  More recently, my mouth has been very sensitive to hot foods and alcohol. My mouth burns very easily when I eat hot foods, and I've gotten these bumps in my mouth and on my neck which I've only noticed the day after I've drank alcohol as they get very painful but only for a day or so. The bumps (or lumps) on my neck don't feel too hard and I can move them around slighty with my fingers, they don't feel like they are attached to the skin. I don't know if alcohol causes them or if they were there all along and get irritated by alcohol. I've also gotten strange lumps on my lips and face after having a hot shower. These lumps feel slightly like hives, but they feel a bit numb and go away shortly after my shower. The bump on the front of my gums was very hard and sore at first but now it doesn't hurt and I can move it around slightly. It feels hard at its core and loose liquid filled around it.
I suffer from problems with stress and anxiety, during stressful times in my life I often get sick and if I focus on the problem it definitely gets worse. The lumps on my neck scare me. Could it be cancer, or am I just being paranoid? The biopsy in my mouth did come back negative which leads me to believe that at least some of this could be caused by stress.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It does not sound like these are cancerous lesions. Stress can be responsible for many maladies proven or unproven. It sounds like you have been to the correct professionals. I would guess the biopsy was done by an oral surgeon, if not a consult would be in order or a visit to an oral pathologist. The last pro can be located usually at a teaching hospital or a dental school.