Dental Health Expert Forum
Nerve hit by dental injections

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Nerve hit by dental injections
I went to a dentist on a wednesdaymorning to have a filing replaced on the left bottom molar. I had several injections to the sight.  The pain was excruciating to say the least. When I left that office, I just had a feeling that something was not right.  The numbness to the left side of my face stayed well past eight hours.  I went to bed. Upon awakening both my cheek and tongue were still numb.  My taste buds were still gone. When I went back to the dentist, he referred me to a surgeon who diagnosed it as nerve damage.  He too said that is was "a bad aim" He prescribed a steroid for 6 days. He says it could come back in a few days or months. He could not promise when it would come back and that I might have to see a neurologist and possibly have surgery. Days later still no change.  I also have other health issues. I have to watch my salt and sugar intake.  I cannot taste my food unless it is drowned with sugar or salt, otherwise it tastes like cardboard.  What should I do about this?
I think at this point you can only wait for the nerve to repair itself. I think it will get better very gradually and will take some time.