Dental Health Expert Forum
New Dentures

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

New Dentures

On Dec. 16, 2009 I had my top teeth extracted and got immediate dentures.  I am having a difficult time getting the dentures to seat properly, especially on the right side.  It looks like the roof of the dentures may be too high. Can this be safely adjusted without making the denture too flimsy?  I was also wondering if it is safe to use denture adhesive on the part of the denture that comes in to contact with the area of my mouth that is missing teeth?  I have to use adhesive to keep the denture in my mouth but have only been using it in a few areas for fear that if it touched the areas where my teeth were extracted it would cause infection.

Thanks for your help.
It should be fine to adjust it.  It may help with the fit if they adjust it if there's some excess part that may be preventing the denture from seating properly.  Also, the adhesive is fine for now and since the extractions were 3 weeks ago, it should be completely or nearly closed.  If you want, don't use a sticky denture adhesive that's like paste.  You can try other products that such as Sea-Bond which is more like a piece of two sided adhesive tape.