Dental Health Expert Forum
ReOccurring Spot on the Side of my tongue

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I have this spot on the side of my tongue that will start small and quickly increase in size over the course of 3-5 days until it eventually goes away (approx 10-14 days).  Unfortunately, 1-2 days after it "goes away" it returns and runs a similar cycle.  It is only on the left side of my tongue and has been recently doing this consistently. I read something about geographical tongue but that seems to be primarily on the surface of the tongue and it typically is multiple spots. Again, my condition starts with a very small round spot with white borders and increases in size fairly quickly until it dissipates.  I'm very concerned this could be cancer but from what I've read, malignant spots don't go away.  The spot doesn't hurt and is extremely flat.  Can anyone please either ease my mind or let me know if this is a condition you've seen or experienced?  I'm hoping I have some jagged edge on my tooth that is responsible for this.    HELP
What you describe sounds possibly like geographic tongue.  Does it hurt or burn at all?  Yes, it doesn't sound like malignant at all.  Going to your dentist or oral surgeon would be a good start to figure out what it is.