Dental Health Expert Forum
Surgical extraction complications-neck mass

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had a surgical extraction of a back lower molar left side. It turned out to be a long drawn out surgery 2 hours, the dentist had me hold my fist under my left jawline and push up hard, while he was trying extract the tooth.  A few days after surgery I developed dry socket and pain (10) to my left ear neck, headache.  I went back to the dentist several times, he made a new clot took an x-ray etc.  Improved a little, after 2 and half weeks of pain I went to the emergency room, they took a blood test and x-ray of my neck and jaw on that side, at the same time I had developed a mass soft at the side of neck near the clavicle.  Also had had a neck injury 12 years ago, also TMJ about 10 years ago.  No infection was found thru the blood test, x-ray showed nothing, I was given more pain meds and sent home.  After 4 more days of severe pain I went to my primary doctor, who had me do an entire workup for cancer of the mass at the side of my neck.  No results yet of my ct scan.  Have also had some physical therapy to my left neck.  The pain has improved with flexeril.  Still have mass or swelling at side of neck, disappears depending on how I move my arm.  This morning I woke up and the lymph glands on that side are enlarged.  Not much pain,  Can you help me?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I am sorry but this is too complicated to diagnosis without seeing you and having any of the test results. I would think that if you do not get a definitive diagnosis from the professionals you are seeing then it might want to see an oral pathologist. You can usually find one in a teaching hospital or a dental school.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Neck mass was started.