Dental Health Expert Forum
Tooth #21 Extraction and nerve damage
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Tooth #21 Extraction and nerve damage

About 15 years ago I had a RCT performed on Tooth #21. Over time the crown of the tooth was severely damaged by decay, the post came loose and my dentist in an effort to remove decay removed the tooth structure to below the gum line. Unfortunately I now need it extracted. I have to admit that I am very anxious about having this tooth extracted for fear of damage to the lingual nerve that I was told by my dentist is somewhere near this tooth. (The thought of permanent nerve damage scares me.)

My questions today are: Where is this nerve in relation to the tooth, how risky is removing this tooth, and how will my oral surgeon remove this tooth if there is no tooth structure above the gum line?

Thank you very much for your insight!