Dental Health Expert Forum
Tooth Extraction / bone graft side effects

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had a tooth removed in July 2006 due to a root canal gone bad.  I had a bone graft (human/cow combo) put in to prepare for an implant within a year.  After the graft was placed, I experienced excessive saliva and an overall bad film/taste in my mouth.  I waited until Sept 2006, and had the graft removed since I could only figure that these symptoms were associated with the graft.  The bad taste and excessive saliva is still there.  The oral surgeon or my family doctor cannot explain what is going on.  Could I have experience some nerve damage with the extraction that is giving me these bad side effects?  If anyone can offer any assistance or advice, I would appreciate it...  

thank you in advance
I am sorry but I have no explanation for your difficulty. I would suggest you consult an oral pathologist if your professionals have no idea what is going on. These doctors can be located at dental schools or teaching hospitals. Good Luck.
A related discussion, Possible nerve damage? was started.
A related discussion, extraction and bone graft was started.