Dental Health Expert Forum
White gumline under one tooth
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

White gumline under one tooth

I am presently in braces and they have been on for about 1 year.  My gum is receeding under one tooth.  Where the gum meets the tooth there is a white patch that is very painful.  It bleeds very little if at all when brushed.  I have talked with my dentist who said I might need a skin graph.  I am concerned, however, about the white area and how painful it is.  It has been present for about 8 weeks now.  It does not look like an ulser but a white area along the gumline where the gum is receeding.   I am sort of scared it might be cancer.  Can you help me understand why this white, painful area is present on a receeding gum?
Related Discussions
I doubt very much that the white area is malignant. That being said I think it should be looked at by your dentist or an oral surgeon to give you peace of mind. It is possible that you don't have the correct type of gum tissue in tne area of the recession and that is why you are experiencing the discomfort.That type of tissue breaks down faster because it does not have a cornified layer on it.(callous type tissue like you have on your finger tips).It will become inflamed from eating and brushing too hard. That is why you may need a gingival(gum) graft.
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, What is this painful white area in my mouth? was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank