Dental Health Expert Forum
White stuff under tongue

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

White stuff under tongue

Bit of background...28 yr. old female, high levels of anxiety and huge fear of cancer due to grandmother dying of Ovarian cancer.  Have habit of always playing & looking in my mouth.  The other day I was feeling the floor of my mouth w/the tip of my tongue and felt somewhat rough. So I grabbed the flash light & looked in the mirror & there was some white stuff on the thing that connects the floor of mouth to tongue & I wiped it off. What could that be?  It had me freaked out so I kept on wiping it with a Q-tip & playing with it & looking at it, so the next day it was somewhat sore underneath my tongue then the past few days it felt more normal & smooth again until yesterday so I looked again & I had some white stringy stuff that I wiped off w/ Q-tip & I kept pressing on it so it is somewhat sore again.  I know that I shouldn't keep pressing it and playing with it, it will just keep making it sore.  I only see a small area of white(doesn't looked raised) I guess on floor of mouth, close to the side of the thing that connects floor to the tongue when I depress my tongue backwards & thrust my lower jaw up (hard to describe) but it disappears or blends in or I can't find it when I raise or stick out my tongue out (like trying to touch tip of my tongue to my nose or roof of mouth).  It's almost like it blends in with the blood vessels or veins or I can't find the area at all.  Overall the floor of my mouth and underneath tongue looks normal, pale pink color, no red areas, no ulcers. Since I do tend to overreact, should I be concerned & rush to my dentist? Thank you for your time
Avatar_dr_m_tn
There is are two ducts on either side of the tongue area that you seem to be describing. These are the openings to the salivary ducts and are quite normal. If you keep pressing them you obviously will make them sore. It sounds normal but to ease your mind see an oral surgeon to confirm what I am saying is correct.