Dental Health Expert Forum
infection

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

infection
How can an infected tooth cause other problems in the body and what type of health problems can be caused by this? I had a filling put in over a year ago and before the filling there was no pain in the tooth but afterwards I could'nt drink anything cold without a straw,nor could I put any pressure on the tooth by eatting. I went to a new dentist who said the filling was too deep causing pressure on a nerve in turn caused infection. I had to have the tooth pulled do to infection as I had a total knee replacement and there was worry of infection going there but also in the meantime I have a inflammed thyroid and doctors don't know why? Can this  come about from the tooth infection?.
So your dentist removed your tooth due to an infection?  Yes, with knee replacement surgery, there is a fear that the new joint can be prone to infections.  The reason why we are concerned is the entry of bacteria into the bloodstream when we do an extraction since its an open area with lots of bleeding.  

I haven't run across any literature regarding inflammed thyroids and an infected tooth but its possible I suppose.  Whenever bacteria enters the bloodstream, it can travel anywhere and can cause a chronic low grade infection.  I would get your oral health taken care of and see if that helps.  There is some evidence showing that diabetes and heart disease although its not proven yet.