Dental Health Expert Forum
jaw/ear/neck pain in child

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

jaw/ear/neck pain in child

My son is 11 had braces put on the 4 upper front teeth and 4 lower.   He was in excruciating pain the first few days.   Complained that his bite felt very off.   3 weeks later he began complaining of an earache.   Was seen 4 times by the APRN at school who found nothing wrong with his ears.   Was seen by his allergist who examined his ears and concurred.   No infection.   Then I took him to his MD who did bloodwork for Lyme, arthritis etc.   All was normal.   The orthadontist says the braces are not causing the pain....the doc wants to send us to a pediatric rheumatologist.    He did have a fever and felt awful with joint aches in the middle of August.   I don't remember him getting bit by anything this summer ( we live in CT so Lyme is rampant).    Could this be the braces causing this.    There is no popping or clicking of the jaw but if you press in the joint it hurts.   He is near tears every morning ( weekends included so I don't think it is school).   His bite is very messed up and the orthadontist suggested braces before all his adult teeth were in as he thought we could possibly fix this early  and maybe not need full braces later if we stableize and get things into place now.    Thanks for any insight.
The only realistic approach to the jaw pain would be to remove the braces and see if it resolves the symptoms.  You would need to discuss with your orthodontist about possibly doing that and seeing if it'll help with his pain.  If it doesn't resolve, it would lead me to believe its not due to the braces.