Dental Health Expert Forum
pain under my tongue (a piece came off)
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

pain under my tongue (a piece came off)

For my entire life I've always had two pointy flaps of skin extending from the underside of my tongue very similar looking to this http://www.boingboing.net/2008/06/10/what-is-on-keiths-to.html. I looked into it and I think they're called fimbriae or something like that. Not everyone has them but it's never been a problem before. Four days ago I noticed for the first time that they were inflamed, red, and slightly sore (I'm not irritating them by touching them). Then three days ago they started causing me a much larger amount of pain made worse by moving my tongue at all and all foods and liquids except cold water. I know this is gross but two days ago I threw up and later that day the tips turned from bright red to white but the pain level remained constant (maybe the stomach acids did something?). Today the flaps turned almost completely white. While talking one of my front bottom teeth brushed against one and sliced the top half of it off. I didn't bite it. It just kind of came off. The strange thing is the pain didn't feel all that much greater than it had moments before. Should I see my doctor or dentist or is this something that will self correct? Will I need to get them removed?