Dental Health Expert Forum
severe pain and swelling

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

severe pain and swelling

I have a tooth in very back that is broken.  I've not been able to afford the dentist.  Three days ago I started getting a toothache.  Yesterday the whole side of my jaw swelled up.  I tried to get into a dentist but couldn't ,  They told me to go on to the er.   The dr prescribed antibiotics and gave me pain pills.  I started the antibiotics but didn't think I needed the pain pills but today the swelling is worse and I'm in severe pain.  To make matters worse friends are telling me horror stories of people dying from abcesed tooth.   Could I die from this?  Should I be having more pain than before and more swelling even though i've started medication.  What else can I do?  I'm desperate to make this pain and swelling go away until I can see a dentist.  The ER dr poked around on my cheek and at the time my tooth was hurting anymore just my jaw.  He did not drain it, I don't believe I have had any pus but not sure what I would look for.  Sounds pretty gross so think I would notice.  Any input would be much appreciated.  I just wanna feel better and definitely don't wanna die. Please help
Hi madge326,

I don't want to scare you but it is possible to die from a dental infection.  The infection can spread to other parts of the body and cause serious harm.  You are taking antibiotics right now.  Its been only one day so its hard to say if its working or not.  It'll take a few days for the antibiotics to have any noticeable effect on the swelling.  Are you having any other symptoms besides pain and swelling?  If you start having other issues like your cheek/eye starts to close or if you get some difficulty swallowing, breathing, I would head to the ER right away and get it drained.