Dermatology Expert Forum
Belly button odor

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Belly button odor
Hi, I have an innie belly button, and it smells real bad.  I try to clean it every night in the shower with soap, but by the next day it smells again.  I can even smell the odor on my shirt in the area off my belly button.  It smells alot stronger than normal body odor.  Is there something I can use to get rid of whatever is the cause?  It is very sensitive in there too, I once maid it bleed cleaning it.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
You may have a yeast infection in there.  Innies are classy, but the sac may harbor moisture which helps organisms proliferate.  I suggest you not clean too much--you may cause irritation.  Just cleanse gently and see your doctor for examination and perhaps culture.  Even if it is yeast, it's not contagious, and easy to treat.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, Deep Belly Button odor,itch,and sensitivity. was started.