Dermatology Expert Forum
Dangerous Skin Tag?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Dangerous Skin Tag?

I've had what I beleive to be a skin tag on the back of my thigh for about 3 + years.  I first noticed it when I was doing heavy amounts of body building and my legs were getting bigger.  Over time it's grown from the size of a pimple to about half an inch long.  I've been meaning to see a dermatologist to have it removed but since it's on the back of my thigh, out of sight out of mind.  Recently Ive noticed that the tip of the skin tag has become blackened and hard.  Is this due to an infection and should I be worried that this growth is not a skin tag but something worse?  It's appearance can be described as attached by a small area of skin to my thigh and the actual growth itself is skin colored, round with visable veins and the top 30% has become hard and black.  Also, it isn't painful but it can be tender/sensitive to the touch.  I will be seeing a dermatologist in the next few weeks but I'm just wondering how concerned I should be and if you've ever personally dealt with anything like this before?

Thanks!
Skin tags often turn black when they get rubbed or twisted and lose their blood supply.  Sometimes this happens even without any remembered trauma.  I certainly would see the doctor to be sure, but don't be surprised if the whole things doesn't just die and fall off before you get there.  Happens all the time.  If the doctor looks and can't see anything at all, then you can be sure it wasn't anything more than a ski tag or similar benign growth.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, Concerned about skin tag was started.
A related discussion, is blackened skin tags cancerous ? was started.