Dermatology Expert Forum
Dry spot on penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Dry spot on penis

I had unprotected sex with a woman about 3.5 months ago.  About a day after the sex I noticed a small, but noticeable red patch of skin on the right side of my penis - on the shaft just below the head.  It was about 1cm x 1cm.  I used lotion on it.  The skin flaked a little and after a little over a week, it went away.  

About a month after that, I noticed a similar patch of dry skin on the bottom of my scrotum.  Same thing happened.  Dry skin, flaking, and after a while it went away.

Now, another month later, I have yet another patch of dry, red skin on top of my penis at the base, just where the pubic hairline ends.  This one has stuck around for about two weeks (it started larger and has gotten smaller)

I have been examined by a dermatoligist and a physician (checked for STD's and none were found)... but the dry skin patches were NOT present during either exam.  I mentioned it and the physician said it could've been just skin damage from rigorous sex.  

I have very dry skin normally, but I'm worried, because I've never had it on my penis before (that I've noticed).  I admit that for the past three months I've been examining my penis and rubbing lotion on those dry patches many times daily - and constantly thinking about them too.

I have pretty much abstained from sex with my girlfriend, mainly out of fear that I have something.  Also, sexual activity and masturbation seems to aggravate the dry patches.  

Advice?  Thank you.
I think you have eczema of the penis, perhaps indeed aggravated by the friction of sex.  This does not sound like an STD.  Among other things, STD's don't go away and come back, at least not in the form of dry patches.  For definitive diagnosis, you will need to show either the rash or a good picture of one to a dermatologist.  I advise you to arrange this if at all possible, so you can get on with things and forget the incident.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, Odd Rash on underside of Penis was started.
A related discussion, Red smooth circular spot on penis shaft was started.