Dermatology Expert Forum
Impetigo or no?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Impetigo or no?

I have these microscopic bumps or rash Possibly on my lips. They feel chapped, they burn, and they itch. You can't normally see them but I can feel them. The only times they can be seen are if I irritate them by rubbing them.  This started about two years ago, it started with only little bump and spread to cover both my top and bottom lip lines. I tried all of the cold sore medications at first but they didn't help, after two months of pain and not being able to eat I ended up taking a rough towel and itching them. When I woke up in the morning my lips were practically glued shut with yellow crusty stuff, so I went to urgent care worried. There I was told I had impetigo and was given an antibiotic and a cream. That within a week cured it. After that I had more outbreaks and kept using the cream that would make it go away in a few weeks. I noticed I would outbreaks in summer and occasionally fall and I was told that was normal with impetigo. So this April when I got an outbreak early I didn't question it. I tried the cream for 4 weeks and that didn't work at all, so I tried at home remedies to impetigo and those didn't work, so I went and got an antibiotic for impetigo and that made it go away for a few days than it came back. So I went to a doctor for a referral and/or help for or. When I got there my lips weren't to irritated and he said he had no idea and didn't want to give me anything. I had to beg for something so finally he gave me a steroids cream, which made it go away fora few days. Now its August and still no cure. I keep getting it for weeks nd then it'll disappear for a few days. It hurts and is still showing all of the signs o originally had except it doesn't seem to leak. So i was wondering do I have impetigo or not? & ifso how can I make whatever this is finally go away?
Thanks for posting your query.

From your symptoms it looks like cheilitis. The other possibility although less likely is of cold sores.
To completely rule out HSV 1 it is diagnosed with lab tests, including DNA -- or PCR -- tests and virus cultures.

Drink plenty of water and take multivitamin supplements and do not apply lipstick or other cosmetic products for some days. Use a humidifier to moisturize the air in your home and apply shea butter or Vaseline on your lips. After consulting your doctor you can add over-the-counter 1 percent hydrocortisone ointment.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.