Dermatology Expert Forum
Impetigo or no?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Impetigo or no?

I have these microscopic bumps or rash Possibly on my lips. They feel chapped, they burn, and they itch. You can't normally see them but I can feel them. The only times they can be seen are if I irritate them by rubbing them.  This started about two years ago, it started with only little bump and spread to cover both my top and bottom lip lines. I tried all of the cold sore medications at first but they didn't help, after two months of pain and not being able to eat I ended up taking a rough towel and itching them. When I woke up in the morning my lips were practically glued shut with yellow crusty stuff, so I went to urgent care worried. There I was told I had impetigo and was given an antibiotic and a cream. That within a week cured it. After that I had more outbreaks and kept using the cream that would make it go away in a few weeks. I noticed I would outbreaks in summer and occasionally fall and I was told that was normal with impetigo. So this April when I got an outbreak early I didn't question it. I tried the cream for 4 weeks and that didn't work at all, so I tried at home remedies to impetigo and those didn't work, so I went and got an antibiotic for impetigo and that made it go away for a few days than it came back. So I went to a doctor for a referral and/or help for or. When I got there my lips weren't to irritated and he said he had no idea and didn't want to give me anything. I had to beg for something so finally he gave me a steroids cream, which made it go away fora few days. Now its August and still no cure. I keep getting it for weeks nd then it'll disappear for a few days. It hurts and is still showing all of the signs o originally had except it doesn't seem to leak. So i was wondering do I have impetigo or not? & ifso how can I make whatever this is finally go away?
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,
Thanks for posting your query.

From your symptoms it looks like cheilitis. The other possibility although less likely is of cold sores.
To completely rule out HSV 1 it is diagnosed with lab tests, including DNA -- or PCR -- tests and virus cultures.

Drink plenty of water and take multivitamin supplements and do not apply lipstick or other cosmetic products for some days. Use a humidifier to moisturize the air in your home and apply shea butter or Vaseline on your lips. After consulting your doctor you can add over-the-counter 1 percent hydrocortisone ointment.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank