Dermatology Expert Forum
Itchy Rash on Backof Neck Below Hairline

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

For about 3-4 weeks I have had a burning and extremely itchy rash on the back of my neck, below my hairline, just above my collar.  I have checked my soaps, detergents, shampoos, cosmetics, perfumes etc. and have not usd anything new or unusual.  The only medication I take is Synthroid for Hypothyroidism. I can not see the back of my neck to examine it, yet my husband says that the rash looks mild and there are small red bumps visible.  Some of these bumps have scabbed or crusted over from my constant scratching.  At one point the itching seems to have subsided (about a week ago), only to return again this week.  I have no pain at the site other than the irritation from scratching.  I recently suffered the death of my Mom after a long illness and have had some extra stress for the past few months.  I called my doctor today, and am awaiting his call back.  Any idea what this could be?
Jackie:

Women often get stress-induced eczema on the naoe, just where you describe.  My advice is to get some 1% hydrocortisone lotion and Pramegel (both OTC).  Apply the former twice a day, after a shower and at bedtime.  Apply the latter as needed, whenever it itches.  Bet it gets better in a few days.  If not, please see a doctor.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, allergy rash was started.
A related discussion, Itchy, burning(sometimes)splotchy red rash on neck was started.
A related discussion, itchy skin rash on back of neck was started.