Dermatology Expert Forum
Mole/spot/mark near meatus

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Mole/spot/mark near meatus

Dear expert,

I have had this mole/mark for a couple years now rigth next to the meatus. It has not generated any pain up to this date. I am really of scared and concerned beacuse this is a very delicate area for any man and because I am almost certain it has grown in size in the past years (although not significantly enough to notice severe changes). it appeared one day and I cannot even remember how long ago it was. I was approximately 14 years old. I reckon the mole has increased slighlty over the past years (now im 19). I also want to add that I have nerver had any kind of sexual intercourses to this date, so I would exclude the possibility of any kind of STD. From the picture it may be diffcult to tell, but the mark is brownish and has a circular-like shape. can you please give some guidance as to WHAT IT IS and any TREATMENT i might need? Is it anything to be WORRIED about? Thanks in advance.
Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for the mole/ mark near the urethral meatus.
Since the mark appeared when you were 14 years of age and in 5 years it has grown very very little, it is unlikely to be anything sinister. Moreover you do not have any history of any sexual intercourse which rules out any STD like HPV wart or herpes sores. It is most likely to be a simple mole or nevi or a penile melanotic macule. Both of these are benign and do not pose any health risk.

Penile melanotic macule is a well-defined, oval, brown to black, flat patch on the penis of some people. Once developed the lesion usually remains unchanged in size and colour. It can occasionally have an irregular edge and there may be a history of colour change as well.

Although there are different methods of its removal, it is not advised because the skin of penis especially the glans (glands) is very thin and delicate and the various methods of removal can cause more harm than benefit. If needed it can be frozen (cryotherapy), or removed using a laser or intense pulsed light.

Just leave it as such but keep an eye on it. If you notice changes in the mole's/mark’s color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. You also should have it checked if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful. Otherwise it should be left as such.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.