Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash between rectum and scrotum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash between rectum and scrotum

I have been battling a rash that appeared about a year ago.  It developed in the area between the base of my scrotum and a rectal area.  It starts as 2 or 3 small red bumps that itch, especialy when I sweat.  Though my own scratching or irritation by my underwear, they develop into open sores.  The rash comes and goes, it usally scabs over after I attack it for a few weeks with triple antibiotic ointment or hydrocotisone.  I thought at first it was jock itch, but I tried one of the over the counter cremes (tinactin) and it made the area very raw and even more uncomfortable.  I have been checked for the usual STD's, and have not been diagnosed.  I did notice that a few months ago, I was taking a antibiotic (Biaxin) for a resperatory infection, and the rash healed completely within 4 or 5 days.  I thought it was gone until it reapeared a week or so later.  The rash has never gone out of this area, it always stays in this 1.5 inch square area.  I seem to have noticed its arrival when I started to have some severe intestinal problems, causing diarrea (diarrhea) for days at a time.  I dont know if it related to this, I just remember thinking that it had irritated the area and made it raw from stomach acid.  Sometimes the outbreak lasts only a few days, sometimes it lasts for a month or more.
Rashes in the perineum (that's the part of the skin you're talking about) are usually irritated rather than ifected with yeast or fungus.  The chronic, intermittent nature of your problem alos argue for irritation.  Perhaps diarrhea started or aggravated the process.

I doubt any kind of STD.  (I'm not sure what you mean by: "I have been checked for the usual STD's, and have not been diagnosed."  Diagnosed as not having STD, or not having any diagnosis?)

Needless to say, it won't heal if you don't stop scratching.  I would use a heavy moisturizer like vaseline leberally and often.  I would also suggest an over-the-counter itching lotion like Prax, Sarna, or Benadryl.  Use one of these every time you feel like scratching--it will take the itch sensation away.  Hydrocortisone from time to time may help too.

I recommend a visit to a skin doctor, at a time when you haven't been scratching, to get a definitive diagnosis and perhaps other suggestions.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, Anal irritations was started.